[ODE] degrees of freedom in a slider - other joint types

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Thu Aug 31 16:52:08 MST 2006

STenyaK (Bruno Gonzalez) wrote:

> Forgot it: i'm using 300Hz by default (most car sims use 250, 333, 500Hz,
> sometimes even higher), since i shouldn't miss bumps in the road when

For reference, I've heard it said that the Carmageddon series did 25 Hz
physics.

There are many ways to skin a cat, though.

200 kph is about 55 meters per second, which means about 0.5 meters per
step at 100 Hz. You can "detect bumps" by just sweeping a capsule along
the movement range of the wheel ball (from last step to current step)
and creating contacts based on what this sweep returns, although most
wheels will detect most noticeable bumps at those resolutions without
this sweep.

Cheers,

			/ h+