[ODE] how exactly Contact Joints work?

Roland Plüss roland at rptd.dnsalias.net
Tue Aug 29 15:16:03 MST 2006

ok, so far i got it. i played a bit around with contact joints as for
some reason they don't do what i want them to do. for the time beeing i
work with one contact joint to get things working. as far as i
understood ode requires the depth of penetration "after" the collision
occured, hence, the two objects already penetrate. so if i use my box it
would be sitting slightly inside the floor. now comes the choking point
which gives me headaches. i am required to test for collisions in the
"future". so i know for example that my box does not hit the floor
before the simuation step but during the step it hits the floor. so i
wanted to simply consider this as if the collision happened right at the
beginning of the simulation step. for this i calculate the depth after
the collision and feed this to the contact joint with the collision
point at time T. during the next simulation step though the box is at
the position of no collision while the contact joint takes effect.

should this not work out too? or am i there at a loss? currently i got
so far that the collision seems to work just with a subtle wobbling of
the box on the floor ( you need to get very close with the camera to see
it ). i'm not sure if this is due to my little "hack" here or simply
precision problems.