[ODE] are torque and force measures available for all joints in ODE?

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Mon Aug 28 15:11:25 MST 2006

The easiest way to get these forces is to measure the delta-velocity for
each body, and multiply that by mass, divided by timestep size. This
will give you the net force that acts on an object. If you are using
gravity, but measure movement in world space, then add the gravity force
to this value.

You can sometimes also use the joint feedback to get an approximation of
this information, although that's on a per-joint basis, not per-body.

The most important thing to realize is that the step-to-step forces will
be very jittery (because ODE is penetration based), so you have to
integrate over some amount of time to get a smoother value that you can
actually do anything useful with.

Cheers,

/ h+