[ODE] character jumping

Megan Fox shalinor at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 11:03:21 MST 2006

It's worth mentioning that, in practice, using the standing state as
your only gate to jumping is dangerous to consistency.  Depending on
terrain, whether you were in motion and bouncing a little when you
started, etc, your feet can lose contact faster in one circumstance
than another, resulting in differing jump heights.

Even ignoring that, I found that the window between jump initiation
and feet leaving the ground wasn't enough time to allow for much
difference between a quick tap short jump and a held high jump, and
felt a little funny until I almost doubled the valid "jump time."

... granted, this all depends on what sort of game you're making.  If
you're working on a platformer/action or semi-acrobatic FPS project,
these tweaks are useful.  If you're working on a game where the jump
is largely for show and needn't be incredibly responsive, this amount
of effort is largely wasted.

> An alternative is to set a flag in your simulation object, and apply the
> jumping force each frame until you lose contact with the ground, and
> then clear the flag.
>
> Cheers,
>
>           / h+
>

> Jeff Kershner wrote:
> >
> > Is this best achieved with adding a force in an upward direction?
> > Since forces are zeroed out each frame, how can I get a realistic jump
> > of a character?
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > /jk
> >
> > lman/listinfo/ode