[ODE] Infinite sliding... ?

Jason Perkins starkos at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 05:16:45 MST 2006

On 8/17/06, David Walters <hidden.asbestos at googlemail.com> wrote:
> If so, I think there's a danger here of creating an inflexible system
> where you're forced into a way of working that is unhelpful. I might
> just want ODE to step once and isn't having to work to defeat this
> sort of timing system going to be messy? Timing code for a game loop
> is quite complex and I think it's something that an advanced user
> would want full control over.

To step once, just pass your step size to dWorldStep() as the elapsed
time. While I generally don't like magic values, we could use a step
size of zero to indicate no iterations - just step the entire elapsed
time.

If we made this change, how would collision testing be performed? If
testing is still done once per rendered frame, we would end up with a
variable number of steps between tests putting us right back where we
started. How do you folks run multiple physics steps between collision
passes?

An alternative to all of this would be to rewrite the tests to use
fixed steps, and also prominently display the information on the wiki,
maybe something like "My First ODE Application".

Jason