[ODE] Simulating with trimesh

ZHANG Zikai zikaizhang at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 08:16:20 MST 2006

2006/8/14, henrikmo at idi.ntnu.no <henrikmo at idi.ntnu.no>:
> Hello.
> I have no experience with ODE so please excuse the stupid questions.
>
> I have loaded a .osg file and made a dTriMeshDataID with a call to
> dGeomTriMeshDataBuildSimple with the corresponding inputs. I have called
> dGeomTransformSetGeom(geomid,dCreateTriMesh(space, triid, 0, 0, 0)), but i
> have no dBodyID for the.
>
> Is dBodyID required? If so, how do I do it for the trimesh?
> Is the dGeomID required for simulation since I am using OSG to draw?

The dBodyID could be 0, and the mesh becomes a static environment.
see 7.2. dBodyID dJointGetBody (dJointID, int index); in the ode user guide :)

> The application is a glove controlled hand (several hinged boxes) which
> should be able to interact with the world by pushing away and possibly
> picking up different trimesh objects. Any tips? The hand should exist in
> the simulation, but have no gravity and if it touches an object, as little
> kinetic energy as possible should be transferred.

I am not sure of this will help, try directly call dGeomSetPositon when your
glove is moving. Since the static geom has no body, contact attach may
not work, but when the collision has been detected you can attach the
geom yourself. Something like 'glove.curHoldingGeom'.