[ODE] How to make simulation look more realistic (fast, in look)?

Megan Fox shalinor at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 08:51:31 MST 2006

I use a step size of 0.01, a world scale size of 1 unit to 0.1 meters,
and a gravity value of -90 for fairly realistic results.  The gravity
isn't precisely realistic, but it "feels" right.  I also use triangle
meshes which are perfectly stable, so it isn't as though I'm working
with a special case sort of environment - it's "just a game", and it's
stable.

Most commonly, demos use a fakey low-power gravity because their
simulations would be otherwise unstable without it.  All the faking in
the world doesn't hide how poor a sim of real world it is, though, and
you get Neo-esque sensations as you say.

On 8/13/06, michael kapelko <kornerr at gmail.com> wrote:
> If I don't use physics, how will the player be affected by physics then?
> And it'll look more unreal when player moves fast and all the rest is
> slow. Actually, I almost achieved this, but I manually applied force in
> necessary direction... but it looked awful. Just like you're Neo in the
> Matrix - you're the only one fast enough in the world...
> Yes, I think the problem is in parameters, but I don't know what numbers
> to set.
> Does anyone know of such to get HL2 look? Yes, I tried mass, gravity,
> cfm and erp, but either it's slow and correct, or fast and incorrect.
> Did anyone achieve realistic look in own apps? Then how?
> Thanks.

-Megan Fox
Idyllon, LLC
http://shalinor.circustent.us/megan/resume/