[ODE] Architecture for a FPS

Megan Fox shalinor at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 08:52:14 MST 2006

In addition to this - if you happen to be working on some level of
ragdoll for your FPS, which is semi-likely, I recommend making the
connection function in both "ragdoll" mode and "hit box" mode.  That
is, instead of having a sphere that sort of sits where the head is,
use all the same limbs you would use in the ragdoll, and allow each to
be a hit zone (that follows the animation).  Voila, "pixel perfect"
hit detection.

On 8/2/06, Jason Perkins <starkos at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/2/06, berk <berk at yogurt.com.tr> wrote:
> > Assuming that the avatar does not have any animations (he is like a
> > moving statue), I would like to implement such a feature; when the
> > avatar is hit from his hand, I'd like to call a function, lets say
> > "functionH()", when he is hit from his torso, another function, lets say
> > "functionT()", will be called. How can I use both capsule (for movement)
> > and hit boxes (for 'regional hit's) for the same object?
>
> Create bounding boxes (or whatever) for the regions that you want to
> test, but don't use them for the world collision detection (you can
> use the category or collide bits for this purpose if it helps). Once
> you detect a hit on the capsule, then manually call dCollide() on
> these sub-shapes to determine the area of effect.
>
> HTH,
>
> Jason

-Megan Fox
Idyllon, LLC