[ODE] crash test dummy (mannequin)

Megan Fox shalinor at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 08:26:17 MST 2006

Depending on what you're doing with the ragdoll, you may want to
consider motors at the joints to give them a certain amount of
resistance to being bent too far (set the stops fairly close to the
limits of free movement that you want, but set the resistance forces
such that the joint applies only a small amount of constraint force).

A ragdoll is, well, literally a ragdoll - it flops aroud.  If you're
trying to get something a little more human-ish, a certain amount of
resistance to bends beyond a certain angle is desirable.

Of course, if you want the body to fly comically out the front window
when it hits something, then a loose, floppy ragdoll is precisely what
you want.

On 8/2/06, Bram Stolk <bram at sara.nl> wrote:
> I wrote:
>
> > For a small ODE application, I'm in need of a crash test dummy.
>
> Ah... I now understand that the technical term for this is rag-doll.
> Some pointers are available in the list archives.
>
> I will document my findings on this ODE Wiki page:
> http://opende.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/HOWTO_rag-doll
>
> More pointers are apreciated.
>
>   Bram

-Megan Fox