[ODE] collision matrix

Jaap Stolk jwstolk at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 07:14:57 MST 2006

On 4/22/06, Bram Stolk <bram at sara.nl> wrote:
> - cyl vs cyl is a very hard one. I'm affraid it takes
>   a mathematics Phd to do this properly. I did see a
>   paper with an algorithm for this though, floating on the net.
>   No sample code though.
There is a formula for finding the smallest distance between the two
(center) lines (and the points on the lines where the shortest
distance is. (this can even be done for any N-dimensions) If the
distance is less than the sum of the radius of both cylinders, and the
closest points are within the length of each cylinder, it's a hit.
for a capsule, check the distance from the the center line to the end
of the other cylinder.