[ODE] Ship simulation

Nikita Buida nikita.buida at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 04:39:29 MST 2006

Hi, ODE community!

	I'm planning to make a ship simulation using ODE. There should not be
too much precision and main criterion is natural ship movement.

 	The idea is to approximate body of water surrounding ship with dynamic
water 'boxes'. Ship's hull is approximated too with some simple
shapes... spheres/boxes. Then all water geoms are placed in separate
space so they don't collide with each other. The last step is to assign
proper contact joints parameters such that water washes the ship
'softly' but applies contact forces to simulate ship movement. I guess
some simple hydrodynamics model could be added with this approach.

	The other idea is to perform collision detection of ship's hull/water
body and to apply corresponding Archimedean forces... Everything
without contact joints at all.

	I already have some experience with ODE but I'd surely like to
hear your opinions! Maybe somebody already tried something similar? I'd
be thankful for any advice :)

Cheers!

Nikita Buida