[ODE] Standard for formatting the code ?

The Sukender suky0001 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 11 01:45:54 MST 2006

I agree there are many "standards" for formatting code... but I'm afraid I
disagree with you (John Miles) : tabs are better that spaces, it's not a
matter of RAM/hard drive ! Because anyone who would like to indent more (or
less) can do it with a reasonable editor (VisualStudio, DevC++, vi, emacs,
eclipse...) by adjusting tab size (as long as you do not mix tabs and spaces
!). Moreover, tabs are *designed* to indent... It's simple as this ! ;)

About line endings... well, I'm not as assertive as for tabs, but I think
unix-style should be the standard (even as a Windows dev !), simply because
SVN (or CVS) uses it internally. Anyway, your editor should be able to read
transparently any line endings style. The problem that SVN updates sometimes
result in files with mixed line-endings... (Here it could be interseting
using parameters on SVN client to automatically switch to DOS/Unix/Mac-style
endings).

Sukender