[ODE] Geist3D, ODE and Open-source

jstier@cs.uvic.ca jstier at cs.uvic.ca
Mon Apr 10 17:12:14 MST 2006

Quoting "Adam D. Moss" <adam at gimp.org>:

> You know incorrectly then... :)  ODE is LGPL/BSD; your
> choice as to which.  LGPL (LICENSE.TXT) is extremely unlike
> 'do what you want' which is why it's 23K of lawyer-speak.  The
> BSD license (LICENSE-BSD.TXT) is exceedingly more liberal and
> open to relicensing, as well as brief and understandable by
> laymen.

I always thought that LGPL is less restrictive and more "do what you want"
than GPL. Can some make a commercial product with ODE ? Would that product use
ODE under the BSD or LGPL license ?

> You may adopt ODE under its BSD license and it will then
> place little-or-no constraint on your own license choice,
> which thus isn't really a topic for discussion here.
> Personally I try to 'err on the side of liberal' when
> choosing licenses for free stuff.

I have decided to release Geis3D under GPL just like Blender. The two
applications are very close in spirit. I would appreciate your opinion about
the GPL. Would it work with the BSD liscense of ODE ?

Cheers
Jochen