[ODE] Geist3D, ODE and Open-source

Adam D. Moss adam at gimp.org
Mon Apr 10 11:13:19 MST 2006

jstier at cs.uvic.ca wrote:
> The other question I have is what open source license to use. I know that ODE is
> LGPL, i.e. do what you want!

You know incorrectly then... :)  ODE is LGPL/BSD; your
choice as to which.  LGPL (LICENSE.TXT) is extremely unlike
'do what you want' which is why it's 23K of lawyer-speak.  The
BSD license (LICENSE-BSD.TXT) is exceedingly more liberal and
open to relicensing, as well as brief and understandable by
laymen.

It is extremely important that anyone adopting outside code
or making licensing decisions understands the licenses
involved.

You may adopt ODE under its BSD license and it will then
place little-or-no constraint on your own license choice,
which thus isn't really a topic for discussion here.
Personally I try to 'err on the side of liberal' when
choosing licenses for free stuff.

Cheers,
--adam