[ODE] custom universal anchor constraint

Jaroslav Sinecky sinecky at telefonica.net
Mon Apr 10 01:39:24 MST 2006

Hi,

AFAIK it's not possible. Although I believe it should be pretty
straighforward to implement: just setting respective ERP/CFM values for
respective rows in joint constraint equations in universalJointGet2
function.

> Would adding a ball joint to the same bodies (in addition to the
> universal)
> be a solution or would ODE optimize this out?

Definitely ODE will not optimize this out, but it would introduce redundant
or "doubled" constrainst which is not very recommended. I'd say maybe better
way would be a ball&socket + 1 AMotor with lo and hi stop eqauls.

> Would it be more or less stable and more or less accurate to simply add
> spring / damper forces to the bodies' relative anchor positions when they
> separate since this avoids another entry in the jacobian?

I believe if you want a hard joint ie. use very stiff springs, it will
result in lot of jitter.

Hope this helps.
Jaroslav