[ODE] ODE Doc & Manual ?

Jordi mumismo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 09:54:05 MST 2006

Friday 07 April 2006 17:17、J. Perkins さんは書きました:
> On 4/7/06, Jean de Largentaye <jlargentaye at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Doxygen is great to have docs that are closely related to the code,
> > like an API reference. However, if you want to modify it, you have to
> > download the whole source tree through SVN, make your change, and
> > commit that. Requirements: SVN installed, commit access, extra effort.
> > Those are the same requirement than for the previous, snarf-based
> > format, so no challenge there.
> >
> > I really like the format of the "previous" documentation, which mixes
> > concept explanation with API doc. Some people disagree.
> >
> > There has been a general consensus (if not, holler) to break down the
> > doc into API and Manual. The API would be doxygen-based and the Manual
> > probably wiki-based. I like this idea, because it minimizes the
> > obstacle in updating the manual, while keeping the API closely tied to
> > the code. By Manual, I basically mean everything but the API:
> > tutorials, howto's FAQ, etc..
> >
> > Of course I'm worried about API and Manual getting out of sync, but
> > hopefully the manual will get more attention, and I believe this
> > compensates.
> >
> > That said, the current q12-hosted wiki is underloved. (Heck, I find it
> > downright ugly) Wiki technology has progressed by leaps and bounds
> > since ODE's wiki was put into place, and I think we could benefit from
> > that. I think it's important to have a nice facade, it attracts more
> > attention, and thus more involvement.
> >
> > However, I don't want to setup a wiki in my corner, work on that, and
> > tell people to come work on mine. It's essential to keep ODE resources
> > together. So if you decide to upgrade the wiki, it should happen
> > either on Russ' q12.org/ode.org or on SourceForge.
> >
> > Alternatively, there have been voices in favour of a php.net-like
> > manual. (check the Documentation part of the php.net website if you
> > don't knwo what I mean). This would mean a clean, "static" doc, but
> > with the general public being able to put comments. I don't know how
> > it works behind the scenes on php.net, but believe it's closer to our
> > current system where a select few can modify the Official doc.
> >
> > Finally, we could have the Manual in doxygen format. This would lead
> > to a more unified overall doc, hopefully of better quality. We'll lose
> > the possibility of casual-user-contributed changes. This is similar to
> > the current scheme, with the doc in the repository, and
> > user-contributed comments go into the Wiki. But as I've pointed out
> > before, the Wiki needs work.
> >
> > Wether it's better to have a wiki-based, php.net-like, or doxygen
> > manual depends on the Documentor's involvement:
> > - if no-one wants to put a special effort into the doc, better to go
> > wiki-based and let everyone be able to make small (or larger) changes
> > to the Doc.
> > - if there is someone ready to take on the task of having the doc
> > up-to-date, either go doxygen or php.net-like. If we go php.net, what
> [...]

Do SF.net have support for wiki?

My Debian system has the mediawiki software available to install. I don't know
how hard would be install a decent wiki software in the machine hosting
q12.org.

If you manage install some wiki software somewhere. I volunteer to take
the  "current ODE manual" (the documentation of  0.5 version without the API
documentation) and write it in the wiki. You can polish afterwards with the
changes of the 0.6 version.
I'll also setup the russian version and do a new spanish translation.
I don't volunteer to write all that part about the API (I think that's
Doxygen's job, we can link to it though).

We should use an everybody can edit wiki (a la Wikipedia). I'm sure new HOWTOs
will be written by several people out there.

---
Jordi Polo