[ODE] branches, release, etc

Bram Stolk bram at sara.nl
Tue Apr 4 08:44:25 MST 2006

Tanguy Fautre wrote:

> The thing is, that the double compilation problem has only been fixed on
> trunk. And the x86_64 fix depends on it.
>
> So it's two fixes that need to be included in 0.6.

Errr... I also did some fixes that are in trunk only.
Sorry for that.

I don't completely understand this branching thing yet...
I understood the need for the new_build branch somewhat, as you
wanted to test premake stuff without interfering with other stuff.

But what was the rationale again for having 0.6 separate from trunk?

Could we sync once more, and then agree to work on one branch only?

I really think that our efforts are paying off, and 0.6 will be
much better than 0.5. Let's focus on the remaining important
loose ends, and put out a release candidate followed by a release
with tarballs, precompiled stuff and a spiff looking documentation
website.

Some random remarks:

- We should be starting to think about release notes,
   it is important to list the improvements that users can expect
   over the old release.
- We should fix the INSTALL file: Premake should be explained
   here along autoconf. I'll update the automake explanation.
- Our use of --with-xxx is not completely correct, as --enable-xxx
   is what we are actually doing.
- I've done doxygen documentation for support (drawstuff).
   Is this looking OK? If so, how to do the rest of ode
   reference doc? Put the doc strings in .h or in .cpp ?
- Shouldn't premake move out of contrib/ and into the root?

Thanks!

   Bram