[ODE] discontinuities/accuracy of integration

Bill Sellers wis at mac.com
Sun Sep 18 15:57:27 MST 2005

If you want an open source simulator that calculates joints exactly
then you might want to have a look at Dynamechs. It's hosted at
sourceforge and hasn't seen much development for a while but it's
pretty solid. I've been using it for a few years (you can see a few
examples of what it does on my web page http://homepage.mac.com/wis/
ASL/). The limitation is that it only remains exact for tree
structures and its contact system is rather primitive. On the plus
side it can also do simple underwater simulation at the same time.
I've just moved over to ODE because I wanted better contacts and I'm
hoping that the amount of damping in my systems and using a
relatively integration small step size will help smooth out any
instability. So far I've been able to get away with quite a large
integration step size with ODE and my models don't fall over as much
which I think is primarily to do with having less bounce at the foot
ground contacts. The numbers seem more or less the same so far too.

The thing I really miss is that Dynamechs makes you specify all the
links relative to their upstream link which makes them much easier to
set by hand. The downside is that it insists on using MDH coordinates
for hinges that I find very non-intuitive (and as far as I can see
they make you use local axes that may not be all that convenient).

Cheers
Bill

Dr. Bill Sellers, Editor Primate Eye   Email: wis at mac.com
Faculty of Life Sciences               Mob: 0775 107 8997
3.614 Stopford Building
The University of Manchester           http://homepage.mac.com/wis/ASL/
Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PT, UK

Primate Society of Great Britain WWW site http://www.psgb.org/