[ODE] wobbling hinged door

Martijn Buijs buijs512 at planet.nl
Sat Sep 17 16:12:18 MST 2005

Hi,

In my simulation I have a door, with a single hinge which is aligned vertically. However, when
another object hits the door spins like expected, but as it slows down it begins to wobble
increasingly. Ground/wall clearance isn't the problem, in fact increasing the spacing only makes it
worse. Decreasing the clearance doesn't fix the problem entirely either.

I've thought about fixing this by resetting the body rotation (only the 'fixed' axii) after the
simulation step, but isn't it possible to let the joint error correction mechanism take care of
this? How can I do this without changing the world ERP/CFM and thus affecting the way other objects
behave (I only want it to apply to the hinge joints)? The documentation mentions that these
parameters can be set for joints individually at some point, but I haven't been able to find out how
exactly.

I've also read that adding a second hinge could solve the problem, but it sounds a bit hacky to me,
and might cause other problems in my case.

Thanks,

Martijn