[ODE] Kinematic objects

Erin Catto erincatto at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 27 22:22:52 MST 2005

I have implemented kinematic bodies in my engine. The requirement is that
the engine has a notion of the kinematic body's velocity.

For example, say you have a platform that moves from side-to-side. It might
be convenient to make this platform kinematic so it's motion can be
prescribed by an animation. Now put a physical box on top of the platform.
Physical intuition says that friction coupling between the platform and box
should cause the box to move with the platform. However, if the engine has
no concept of the platform's velocity, the box will simply remain in place
until the platform moves out from under the box.

So getting an approximation of a kinematic body's velocity is easy enough. A
finite difference of the position will work reasonably well. But there's a
catch ...

The difficulty is that the contact constraints and all joints must be
modeled to handle a moving ground point. I found this to be too tedious and
moved to a system that provides a 6dof constraint to move bodies around on a
spline.

Erin