[ODE] geoms having the same position

Aras Pranckevicius nearaz at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 16:21:22 MST 2005

> I'm the original person with the problem. The 1223 geoms are not in
> the same place. They just connect with each other. i.e. the 1223 geoms
> represent walls and floors for a big maze like level.
> This should be a very common situation. I don't understand how ODE
> cannot cope with this.

First try is either to merge them into one big TriMesh (then it should
be fast, because it does not check internals of itself for collision).
Or try using QuadTree space and see if it helps (it at least does not
rebuild itself every frame, but still has to traverse the hierarchy).

The alternative could be to put all static geoms into one space, and
never collide this space with itself. Build some kind of mechanism for
colliding active objects (which should be few) with this static
collision space (which will contain thousands).

It requires manual work though. I've already written a longer mail
about exactly this subject somewhere here:
http://hook.org/pipermail/ode/2005-April/015749.html and some
followups were here:
http://hook.org/pipermail/ode/2005-April/015776.html

--