[ODE] Sphere pass through box, mass problem

Vrej Melkonian vmelkon at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 14 21:54:58 MST 2005

--- "J. Perkins" <starkos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/14/05, Jon Watte (ODE)
> <hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org> wrote:
> > The problem I had was a case where you (as an
> actor) could push yourself
> > into (and through) a box. The problem was that the
> case that was testing
> > for != 0 before dividing, when it really needs to
> test for < epsilon,
> > where epsilon is min-non-denormal-squared.
>
> So the unit test case would be to place a sphere at
> a distance <
> epsilon from a box and let it run, correct? And I
> can deduce a value
> for epsilon from your code? Would probably be
> worthwhile to have
> similar cases for all primitives for points, edges,
> and faces.
>
> Jason

Yes.
In my case, the sphere appears 1 or 2 units above the
box and drops due to gravity. It hits the box (floor)
and very very slowing penetrates the box. It take a
minute. Then it passes through the box and falls to
hell.
In the meantime, I have boxes that do the same thing
as the sphere except they don't penetrate the box
(floor).

I can make a demo. I'll try to make it available
tomorrow.