[ODE] Some objects pass through other objects

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Sun Nov 13 18:40:26 MST 2005

> chain to represent the sling with a pouch in the middle.  However,  I
> haven't learned how to use trimeshes in ODE yet, so my pouch is
> actually a few links in the middle of my chain that are wider than  the

Trimesh-to-trimesh collisions are not very robust; I recommend against
modeling the chain links as actual links. Instead, I would model it as a
series of bodies linked with universal joints, and model the chain
collision as a series of ccylinders. I'd also make the model much
coarser than the rendered representation -- maybe five links between the
axle and the pouch.

In general, it's important to not get too tied down in details of how
you would build your thing in real life, but instead think of the
simplest, most robust arrangement of primitives that will accomplish the
simulation goal you're after.

This is somewhat mentioned in the documentation and FAQ, but not at all
in the amount of detail that someone new to game physics simulation
would need to be able to absorb it.

Cheers,

			/ h+