[ODE] Slow performence in a given scene - optimizable, or "just how it is"?

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Thu Nov 3 13:05:27 MST 2005

My first instinct would be to bake the collision of all static things
into a single static mesh (or a few, block-sized, static meshes).

Another thing you can do is to add profiling code to count how many
near-callbacks you get, and store information about what attempts to
collide with what, and plot that. That should show you some spikes.

Characters and other complex systems should probably be in their own
spaces (spaces can be hierarchical), so that they can be quickly culled
when not colliding with other entities.

Last, I would absolutely use a profiler to figure out where the most of
the time is being spent. That would also guide me into making whatever
optimizations necessary.

Cheers,

			/ h+