No subject

Tue Nov 15 16:38:34 MST 2005

is the current and previous grip position.

In my ODE tests I have two vertical geom-only pieces side by side with
a gap in the middle (the grip).
When I "close" the grip, the two pieces come closer and collide
against whatever body is in the middle, so far so good.

Then, I've tried several things to model the grip lifting behaviour
but none worked:
	- Apply a vertical mass*gravity "up" force to the colliding
object in order to cancel gravity. This normally makes the object
bounce high, which is not exactly what I meant (I apply the force for
every collision point and during all the time there's a collision with
the grip).
	- Disabling gravity on the object colliding with the grip.
This makes the object float, but on its own it doesn't lift the
object.
	- Using the difference of grip height from one iteration to
the next, I apply an impulse when the difference is not zero. This is
the only way I get something close to what I want: the object lifts a
bit, but the bit it lifts doesn't always match the bit the grip
lifted, and it requires a lot of tweaking to make it match. I think
that the fudge factor I use should be mass & gravity dependent as well
(none of which I currently factor).
	- Same as before, but I modify the friction in the contact
point to friction "up". This doesn't produce any visible results.

Has anybody tried to model a grip using ODE?

Am I trying to abuse my physics system?

Thanks for reading!

Cheers!

Antonio Tejada Lacaci