[ODE] Man pages for ODE ?

Peter Onion Peter.Onion at btinternet.com
Sat Nov 26 06:57:44 MST 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 14:02 +0100, Bram Stolk wrote:
> Peter Onion wrote:
> > Is there a set of unix style man pages available for ODE ?
> >
> > I'm a linux user so I'm used to being able to find a libraries
> > documentation in the man pages.  For example all the other libs I'm
> > using (gtk+/gtkglext/glade/openGL/alsa/popt libraries are documented
> > like this which makes ODE the odd one out.

Actually I got carried away there.... The gnome libs don't have man
pages, but they do have properly cross-indexed html versions which are
(mostly) easy to navigate .

By the way I think I should add that I don't think there is anything
wrong with current User Guide.

> sounds good.
> I'm all for it!
>
> I see two possible ways to go about this:
>
> 1) maintain man pages seperatly from src (straightforward)
>
> 2) literate progamming
>     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literate_programming
>     (generate man from src itself)

I've used doxygen once or twice, but not for anything as big as ODE.
If someone else is a doxygen expert then I'll gladly help annotate the
source code with the appropriate comments.

> The latter option would ensure that API and MAN do not
> diverge easily.

Yes, IMHO keeping the documentation in the source code is the best way
to do this as long as the code maintainers keep it up to date!

Peter