[ODE] Architecture tunning

Bram Stolk bram at sara.nl
Thu Nov 24 10:25:08 MST 2005

Rodrigo Hernandez wrote:
> I just added the option --with-arch= to the configure script, this is an
> optional algument to configure and just adds the flag -march= to gcc CPP
> Flags, enabling the use of
> the architecture extensions such as MMX or SSE by the compiler.

A better approach would be to use generic vars:

CFLAGS="-O3 -march=pentium4" ./configure --with-prefix=$HOME

This would work, but requires a small adaptation to Makefile.am so that
AM_CFLAGS = $(CFLAGS) -I$(topsrcdir)/include -I$(top_builddir)/include

This enables more switches than your march-specific switch.

Also, it is the standard method for controlling the compile options using
an autoconf/automake build system.

  Bram

> the usage for example for a Pentium 4 would be:
>
> configure --with-arch=pentium4
>
> for an Athlon XP:
>
> configure --with-arch=athlon-xp
>
> for a list of all posible options check:
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.1/gcc/i386-and-x86-64-Options.html#i386%20and%20x86-64%20Options
>
> Note that that page lists the architecture posibilities for Intel based
> processors, but other architectures such as MIPS also have support for
> the -march flag.
>
> Cheers!

Bram Stolk, VR Engineer SARA, Amsterdam.   tel +31 20 592 3000

"Windows is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell for an 8-bit
 operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor by a 2-bit
 company that can't stand 1 bit of competition."