[ODE] Should trimeshes react to physics?

Keith Wiley kwiley at cs.unm.edu
Mon Nov 21 13:55:22 MST 2005

I'm trying to understand trimesh roles in ODE.  I realize that,
according to the docs, they are new and not fully developed.  I am
using one massive trimesh for a nonoverlapping extruded terrain right
now.  One thing I have noticed is that the trimesh is unaffect by
gravity.  If I create the entire terrain at some height up in the
air, it doesn't fall down, it just floats permanently in space, even
though other objects are rolling and crashing around on the top
surface of the terrain, so it must clearly be enabled due to all the
collisions it is experiencing.

Likewise, since a trimesh is infinitely thin, I'm curious how mass
works with respect to trimeshes.

There is an option to precalculate the face normals for a trimesh and
give them to the trimesh building routine.  When should this be used
and when shouldn't it be used?

And lastly, there is a brief mention of temporal coherence, which as
I understand it, reduces overall collision checks by assuming that
objects don't move very far between adjacent timesteps.  So, it
sounds like a good idea.  When would it *not* be a good idea to use?

Thanks.

Keith Wiley         kwiley at cs.unm.edu         http://www.unm.edu/~keithw

                                            --  Yoda