[ODE] Trimesh collision doesn't seem to be functioning in my case

Bram Stolk bram at sara.nl
Sat Nov 19 03:36:31 MST 2005

Ryan O'Connor wrote:
> I tried compiling ode UNSTABLE and using it on an existing project. I hoped
> it would improve stability of collisions. At the moment if the frame rate of
> our game drops below about 40fps, or you go too fast into a wall
> (sphere-trimesh collision), the sphere will penetrate straight through. What
> I found was that no collisions are detected between the sphere and anything.
> All objects are in the same space and I have custom collision code on the
> callback to quickly discard irrelevant objects from collision response. It
> all worked ok on 0.5 stable, but not on the latest unstable branch. Any
> ideas? What has changed that's relevant since then? I'm kinda stumped.. It
> leads me to believe I set my basic scene up wrong before and it's only
> evident now because the ode code is better.

Ok, first of all:

- Do all the demos in ode/test work for you properly?
   If so, it may be your own code, else UNSTABLE may have a problem.

Second:

- Could you try building ODE with double and with single
   precision, and check to see if they both have the problem?
   I've seen a case where double is ok, and single is not.

Also:
What platform are you on? Are you linking against the correct
lib, and compiling with the correct headers? Did you do a make
clean on your project after you switched ODE branches?

   bram