[ODE] new to list, thoughts

cr88192 cr88192 at hotmail.com
Mon May 30 13:50:17 MST 2005

though not presently a user of ode (I decided to try my hand at writing
something similar myself), the project looks very cool (I may end up using
the lib eventually, but often like trying to do things myself). my attempt
is fairly poor in comparrision (many bugs and other issues).

one minor complaint, however, is the float/double issue, namely the lib can
be compiled in either mode, and it is necessary to have the correct types
when, eg, passing or recieving vectors/...

my thought is that it might make sense, eg, to make a set of
type-specialized wrappers for some functions (those with vectors as
arguments), which could (in the cases where there is a mismatch) do the
conversion on behalf of the user.

of course, this is likely pretty minor...

another (more minor) issue is, imo, the use of a large number of functions
for getting/setting properties, vs the use of a smaller set of functions
with constants passed in indicating the property being modified (sort of
like opengl).

ok, I just like opengl, and the api quite resembles opengl in many ways,
which is imo good, just a few things stand out as somewhat un-gl-ish...

or am I missing something as to why it makes sense to design the api this
way?...