[ODE] matching oriention/position

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Tue May 24 16:57:33 MST 2005

Here's what I would do each step:

- Look ahead one timestep in the animation to where the head will be
(position and orientation)
- Look at where the head RB is now (position and orientation) and, given
its current linear and angular velocities, where it will be one timestep
from now, if nothing else affects it
- Calculate the impulse that will change the velocity by the delta
between the two, over a single timestep; apply that as force and torque

I would also make the head at least 20x heavier than each of the pieces
of the hair, to minimize the "pull" the hair would have on the head
rigid body.

You might also want to look into how your hair behaves WRT
inter-collision; it probably should collide with the head, but it's
un-clear how much it should collide with itself. You might get really
strange forces within the hair if you allowed self-collision.

That being said, I think hair might work better as a simple cloth-style
verlet integrated spring/pointmass mesh than as a linked system of rigid
bodies.

Cheers,

		/ h+