[ODE] Future of physics processors and IM API

Geoff Carlton gcarlton at iinet.net.au
Mon May 16 09:02:32 MST 2005

There's an important difference between physics accelerators and 3D
graphics acclerators.

When 3D cards were first taking off, you had popular games that ran on
current systems, but could look amazing under the hardware (e.g. glquake
vs quake).  So gamers played the vanilla one, and then saw how good they
could be having it.  I don't think that holds true with physics
hardware, because if its not required the physics improvement must
surely be minimal - a better ragdoll, more tin cans etc.  The extra
physics must be aesthetic if the game can run without it.

I think the real market here is consoles, because then games can tailor
themselves to running physics hardware and not need a fallback.
Microsoft/Sony gets to brag about their games having a real difference
over the opposition, and developers get to play with some new tech in
their games.  Then we could start to see really interesting stuff with
regards to physics.

Geoff