[ODE] Composite objects, only one geom moves

Matt Hancher mdh at email.arc.nasa.gov
Sun May 15 02:36:55 MST 2005

> *sigh* here's my second posting about composite geoms. What I have is
> a box geom and a ray geom, but only one geom actually moves

It looks to me like you are setting up the ray just fine;
my guess is your problem lies elsewhere.  What method are
you using to determine whether or not the ray has moved?
I suspect you are calling dGeomGetPosition() on the ray
object and expecting it to move like the box object does.
In that case you have misunderstood geom transforms and
should reread their documentation.

(Calling dGeomGetPosition() on the ray will return its
(fixed) position in body coordinates, and the way you have
things now calling dGeomGetPosition() on the transform will
return the body's position.  If you want the ray's position
in global coordinates, you will either have to compute it
yourself or switch to using geom transforms with info mode 1
and calling dGeomGetPosition() on the transform.)

Matt

Matthew D. Hancher
Intelligent Systems Division
NASA Ames Research Center