[ODE] Trimesh -> other objects performance question...

Colin Bonstead colin at cyan.com
Wed May 11 13:46:06 MST 2005

You don't need VTune or anything like that to get basic profiling info.
Just write your own timer class and wrap it around all the important
functions (draw call, sim update call, etc).  If you're on Windows,
QueryPerformanceCounter works good for this.  Then dump the stats to the
screen each frame.  We do this in our engine and it's good for quickly
figuring out where to look when your framerate gets bad.  Some things
can only really be found with something like VTune, but I think you
should be able to get along fine without that.

And yes, debug does make a big difference so make sure and check your
timings in a release build.  I've made that mistake before too.