[ODE] How to plug a chain of rigid bodies to an animation bone ?

Megan Fox shalinor at gmail.com
Mon May 2 11:07:27 MST 2005

Here's how I would do it:

First, get used to the idea of kinematically (I believe that's the
proper term) driving your character's motion.  That is, if it's just a
floating bounding pill, drive it with forces, not setpos/setvel.

Once you've got that, attach the root of the plait at whatever
position in your bounding volume is equivalent to the proper part of
the head.

Once you've done that, make sure you set up your collision volume to
-NOT- allow collisions between mutliple linked bodies.  That is, no
part of the plait "rope" should collide with any other part of the
plait, or the character's body itself.  Drive your limits by setting
rotation max's and min's in the joints that make up the plait instead.

... the third is optional, but I've had no luck at all allowing
collisions between jointed bodies.  Frictions invariably seem to
develop, never mind how easy it is to "break" the joint and have
de-penetrating forces applying large amounts of energy to the joint.

-Megan Fox