[ODE] Proposal: ODE "unstable"

Russ Smith russ at q12.org
Mon Mar 14 21:52:41 MST 2005

hi,

let me try and address some of these concerns. ODE is a slowly moving
project right now, as all of the developers have a (i guess) lot of other
things in their lives besides ODE :) - however, there's a few things that
can be done to get patches into CVS faster. here's what i've done:

  * created an UNSTABLE branch on CVS. this is where untested, potentially
    dodgy code should go. the UNSTABLE branch (or parts of it) can be
    merged to the more stable trunk periodically, after a sufficient
    period of testing. obvious bug fixes can continue to go on the trunk.

  * i you want to check in your patch, but think that the project
    developers are being too slow, ask to get 'developer' status on
    sourceforge (make sure to include your sourceforge user id in your
    request). as a developer, you can check in your change yourself!
    yes, this is more work for you, but it's less work for the project
    admins (you might think it takes just ten seconds to check in a
    patch, but that true only if you are checking in 100 at a time).

  * when you check in your patch, remember to post a message to this list
    saying what you've done and why.

  * what about the security and code-stability issues of having too many
    people with CVS access? well, i'm not too worried about malicious
    people who try to trash the project - (1) the ODE community by and
    large has been extremely well behaved compared with other open source
    projects (pat yourselves on the back), (2) there's a CVS mailing list
    that publishes new patches so there's plenty of visibility, and (3)
    CVS never forgets, so it's easy enough to recover from any problems.
    if this free-for-all turns out to be a problem (and i don't think it
    will), we can always try something else.

  * i've upgraded four developers to admin status (adam moss, jeffrey
    smith, martin martin and nate waddoups). all project admins can
    add new developers. so if you want to have developer status to check
    in your patch, there should be *somebody* who can help you.

on the issue of subversion, ODE won't be using it anytime soon. i agree
that it's better than CVS, but CVS is what sourceforge provides right now,
so changing over would be more trouble than it's worth.

russ.

--
Russ Smith
http://www.q12.org/