[ODE] hardware physics chip

Andrew Aye AndrewA at terminalreality.com
Wed Mar 9 09:57:20 MST 2005

I'm just waiting to hear about a new DirectPhysics library from MS now -)

Seriously though, the chip will have serious market penetration issues if
they actually encoded the Novodex codebase into the chip.  Physics is one of
those things that often has to be tailored on a per-game basis, so while
this would provide a minimalistic solution - it would not provide the
open-ended access needed to go beyond the "look-ma, lots of simulating
objects" first-pass google-fest.  Not to mention locking out any progress
made on new solution techniques etc.  I'm assuming as well that, given the
boards have 128MB of ram, that when they talk physics - they mean both
simulation and collision.  Opcode is a step-penetration collision system,
while some games may need to do sweep tests for some objects.   Looking
forward to seeing some real information on the chip as so far, I've only
seen the PR propaganda -)

 - Andrew