subversion? (was: [ODE] From unstable to trunk...)

Adam D. Moss adam at gimp.org
Thu Jun 30 14:23:12 MST 2005

Jon Watte (ODE) wrote:
> Is it time to change to something like Perforce or Subversion, which
> tracks specific related change sets? It's much easier to integrate "this
> particular patch" with those tools.

I would welcome Subversion, it's a pleasure to use.  It's a
royal pain to isolate multi-file changes in CVS after-the-fact.

> tigris.org is a hosting site that lets you host on Subversion for free,
> btw. (I don't know where SourceForge is at WRT Subversion project hosting)

SF have been muttering about Subversion for a year or so, but
they're incredibly slow to address any sort of user needs, IMO...

tigris.org is likely very trustworthy, but I'd be interested in
more opinions from ODEy people about a move to SVN.  tigris.org
might not support the (hooks for the) sorts of tree policies we
have regarding different auth groups for trunk versus the unstable
branch, etc.  There's also a question of whether we can convert
our valuable CVS history to SVN (the conversion isn't hard, but
the CVS permissions needed to do this might not be obtainable
from SF - dunno).

--adam
Adam D. Moss   -   adam at gimp.org