[ODE] ODE in Myst V: A Postmortem

Colin Bonstead colin at cyan.com
Wed Jun 22 14:04:04 MST 2005

You're right Adam, I don't know why it happens either.  The only thing I
can think of is if I'm setting a higher velocity on the avatar movement
joint in those cases (and having the 'bullet through a piece of paper'
thing pop up).  I have an on-screen graph I can bring up that will show
me details about the velocity and that sort of thing, and according to
that everything was working as usual during the penetration issues.
It's certainly possible that it's something on my end though.

Really though, I'm just not a big fan of the whole ERP thing.  In Havok,
if a collision couldn't be resolved in one step it would just give up
and those objects would stop colliding.  That obviously wasn't the best
solution, since in the cases where it did happen the avatar or a dynamic
physical would just drop through the floor.  However, it was pretty rare
that that would happen.  Supposedly in Havok 2 it resolves the collision
in one step no matter what, but I can't vouch for that.