[ODE] Joint instability with small bodys

Patrick McColgan patrick at torcinteractive.com
Thu Jun 9 09:27:27 MST 2005

Thanks for the reply, I have now managed to sort my problem.

I read through the faq and then realised that I had ERP set as 1.0, I
don't know why I had left it as that because I knew it wasn't
recommended.  Anyway I then found that reducing this fixed it, and the
smaller the body the lower it needed to be for stability.  I'm not sure
why this is.

As for your problem; I think its taken as fact that -9.81 isn't enough
for gravity (obviously if you are doing a simulation you'll still want
it), I think its due to projection but basically it doesn't look right
and should be higher (maybe someone else can confirm this).  Using the
proper value makes things appear to fall slow, also you may want to look
at the contacts you generate on collision.  When I started using ODE I
used contacts described in the samples and later had problems because
they were 'soft', if you take out bounce parameters and such you'll make
hard contacts so the surface will react stronger when the box hits it.

Hope that helps.