[ODE] High speed rigid body collisions

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Wed Jun 1 11:41:40 MST 2005

> My solution is to use ray cast at each frame to detect
>   RB moves collisions and if i find a collision, i
> place my RB (the ball) at this position and i let
> NearCallBack do its work :). However, i don't know if
> this is the best solution.

For a pentration based time-stepped system like ODE, that's the typical
solution. An alternative is to turn the ball into a capsule (ccylinder)
for the arc it travels during the frame.

Some newer systems being built for next-generation consoles and PC games
are attempting to do continuous-time systems, where penetrations are not
allowed. That's not the kind of system that ODE is, though.

Cheers,

			/ h+