[ODE] From unstable to trunk...

gl gl at ntlworld.com
Fri Jul 1 13:13:23 MST 2005

> What we have now is very similar to the situation you describe,
> though in theory better.  We have the UNSTABLE branch which lots more
> people can check into at will without very much quality assurance,
> then the good bits get transferred to the trunk.

Right, but it seems to me that in practice there is no positive action on
patches on the UNSTABLE branch either.  What I was suggesting was
force-feeding patches to people on the main trunk, to force a response
either way.  If no response is forthcoming, the patch is most likely OK.
This could mitigated by requiring patch creators to #ifdef their patches so
they can easily be disabled if need be.

I realise this is a pretty hard-nosed approach, but it may kick the
community into action - and if people decide that they've had enough of any
ensuing chaos, it may mobilise some into actively mainting the project out
of sheer frustration : ).
--
gl