[ODE] Rollling a ball on a plane

Peter Palotas peter.palotas at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 16:16:35 MST 2005

Hi,

I just got started with ODE and in a school project wrote some C++ code
around most of the functionality for part of a simple (incomplete)
game-engine we're doing.

Anyway, first thing I tried now that I got things working was dropping a
ball on a plane. That seemed to work fine, and the ball bounced a little
from the plane when I set the bounciness of the contact surface parameters.
However, adding a little torque, force or velocity to the ball, i.e. getting
it moving, it will roll slowly in the intended direction and then start
sinking into the plane a bit while stopping or starting to move in the other
direction until it pops up again and slowly resumes its old direction of
movement. (I'm keeping the angular velocity constant by updating it each
frame, so the ball rotates corectly, but the linear movement is screwed up).

Is it normally a problem accomplishing this or is it something special one
should think of? What could be wrong? I've tried playing around a little
with the CFM and ERP parameters without any result.

I've tried using both the latest UNSTABLE branch from the CVS as well as the
0.5 release version.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely, Peter