[ODE] Is a variable frame rate possible?

Bram Stolk bram at sara.nl
Tue Dec 6 08:31:00 MST 2005

Vrej Melkonian wrote:

> If you run more loops because your renderer is slow
> (software renderer like MESA), doesn't this mean ODE
> will slow down everything even more, which means more
> iterations for ODE.

Correct.

It could potentially lead to a situation where you
cannot do your sim realtime anymore. But I think that
the avg computer can simulate reasonably accurate, faster
than realtime, provided that the physics problem is not
too complex. (even when it's slowed down by rendering once
in a while).

> I think you should not measure the time it takes to
> execute ODE.

Hmm... that doesn't sound right.
You have to measure wall-clock time, if you want
an accurate 9.8 m/s*s acceleration in falling objects,
for instance, don't you?

   Bram

--
Bram Stolk, VR Engineer SARA, Amsterdam.   tel +31 20 592 3000

"Windows is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell for an 8-bit
 operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor by a 2-bit
 company that can't stand 1 bit of competition."