[ODE] Initial conditions problem

Peter Yamamoto yamamotop at page44.com
Mon Dec 5 16:13:33 MST 2005

I'm also trying to understand the relationship between applying an initial force (dBodyAddForce) to an object for projectile motion, velocities, etc.

In particular, I want to be able to have a pretty good estimate/solution for hitting a moving target (given various parameters, fixed target velocity, known position/angle of projectile, etc).

Currently like Thomas, I think I want to frame the parameter/solution in terms of an initial velocity, but currently I am using an initial force value to shoot the projectile.

I've then queried the linear velocity after the first simulation step, but I'm not quite seeing the relationship (eg the one which would allow me to translate a desired velocity into the ODE impulse value that would generate that velocity).

I was just about to look more closely into the ODE stepper function but since somebody seems to be asking a similar question, I thought I'd add my interest in the question/answer.

Peter