[ODE] Ideas for threading ODE...

Patrick Rosendahl Hendrix_ at gmx.net
Tue Aug 30 11:43:29 MST 2005

Hello all,

I just want to share my experiences and some thoughts:

I have put the physics in one thread and the OpenGL output into an
other. The speed increase is quite high (even on single-
processor machines).
I did not use synchronization (double-buffering of position/
orientation), so the OpenGL-output is a mix of the last
frames computed. (But that is not recognizable by the user.)
I have used "explicit" parallelization (Windows: CreateThread(),
Macintosh: MPCreateTask() ).

Next thing I will do is parallelize the collision detection. 90% of
my objects are trimeshes, so that is the most time-comsuming part.
TT is already threadable (of course, _AABBTreeCollider has to be
synched),
some other colliders not yet (using ugly global variables, eg. see BT).
Then dJointCreateContact() has to own some synchro, too, when putting
all the joints into the contact-joint-group.
The SOR is certainly parallelizable, which I will exploit, too.

But then again, my app is for 3d-animation designers, who tend to
have latest hardware. I also assume that high-end
workstations will not be limited to only 2 processors. So my project
is probably not applicable to game-design.

-Patrick