[ODE] test program problems

Holger Urbanek holger.urbanek at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 08:54:59 MST 2005

To learn ODE I would suggest that you

1) Read the manual from beginning to the end. It's not complicated. If
you dont understand something, don't worry, read on.

2) Than look at the boxstack example.

3) Try to make your own program where a box falls down on a second fixed box.

4) Read again the section about joints.  Fix one box by a joint and
hang another box to the first one with another joint.

5) Try to apply forces (e.g. dBodyAddTorque).

6) Now think of what you are planning to do and look at the more
advanced examples.

So: At the beginning don't let you bother with the difficult examples.
Start easy. Recognize the simplicity of ODE.
And yes, I think, that the examples don't have a fixed framerate ...
they are yust examples for ODE, so people can lern of that, not
examples for the art of game-programming, which complicates things and
brings no deep insight to ODE. (Perhaps for clarification: ODE ist
just the physics-engine, NO graphics engine. I don't even use the
supplied OpenGL library, as I more like the inventor-stuff ...)

Have fun with ODE -- its great.

Just my $0.02

  Holger