[ODE] "synchronous" ray intersection tests?

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Thu Aug 4 15:42:03 MST 2005

> Is there a reasonable way, performance-wise, that I can make
> "throw-away" line intersection tests like above with ODE and
> encapsulate it in a method that will give me my result right away? I

Sure. You can implement that very function, by having it call
dCollide between a "utility" ray that you create at start-up, and change
using the parameters given for each query, and the geometry of the
world. Capture the results in a static variable (or send in a
pointer-to-result-storage) in a specially formulated near-callback function.

Btw: CarWorld does this all over the place :-)

Cheers,

			/ h+