[ODE] Large physics worlds - let autodisable handle it, or create a sliding window of physical activity?

Jon Watte hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Wed Apr 20 18:07:31 MST 2005

> I'm of the mind I'm almost definately stuck with option #2, but I'm
> wondering if anyone else has tried anything similar and found that
> option #1 was actually viable?  So long as you're intelligent with

I would say that you need to simulate whatever the player can see.
Thus, the bubble is likely pretty big, if you go with bubbles. Or
you can chunk things such that the player "sees" multiple active
cells, and you deal with the cell edge cross-over of bodies.

I don't see why simulating "everything" would be that much more
expensive -- you won't be running physics for disabled bodies;
only collision testing, and you can make it so that disabled bodies
don't collide with other disabled bodies (using the masks).

Cheers,

		/ h+