[ODE] Autotools added to UNSTABLE

Rodrigo Hernandez kwizatz at aeongames.com
Mon Apr 11 19:51:08 MST 2005

Hello All,

I have added autotools support to UNSTABLE, this in no way affects the
current build system, for
now it is just a new option to build ODE.
I have successfully tested the procedure on MinGW, Cygwin and Linux
(Fedora Core 3), so,
I would like to ask those who have 64bit CPUs and Mac computers to test
the procedure and to
find what tweaking needs to be done.

Here is the text I added to INSTALL, please let me know what do you
think :):

ODE NOW HAS AUTOTOOLS SUPPORT!!!!

if you want to build ODE with autotools follow these steps, if not skip
ahead:

(0) if you are building from CVS you must bootstrap the process first
    by running:

    $ sh autogen.sh

    you may see some "underquoted definition" warnings depending on your
    platform, these are (for now) harmless warnings regarding scripts
    from other m4 installed packages.

(1) The default build process builds ODE with single precision, no trimesh
    support, and debug enabled (leaves OPCODE out), if this is what you
want,
    simply run:

    $ ./configure

    double precision is enabled with the argument --with-double-precision
    opcode support is enabled with the --with-opcode argument, and finally,
    a release build is enabled with --enable-release.
    So, if you want to build ODE with trimesh support, you would run:

    $ ./configure --with-opcode

    if you want to build ODE with trimesh support and double precision:

    $ ./configure --with-double-precision --with-opcode

    etc, each of these arguments are independent of each other.

(2) Run:

    $ make

(3) To install the library run:

    $ make install

Autotools Notes:

1. Currently because of the nuisances of the Windows DLL system shared
   libraries are disabled, so autotools will build a static library only,
   on non Windows systems, you can get a shared library by adding the
   argument --enable-shared to the configure script.
2. the autotools build process creates and installs a 'ode-config' script
   similar to that of gtk, useful for passing cflags and libs to your
projects,
   run ode-config from a command prompt to find out how it works.
3. The initial autotools build support was written by
   Rodrigo Hernandez (kwizatz at aeongames.com) feel free to contact me,
   if you have any questions regarging the ODE autotools scripts.

Cheers!